I will be honest, the idea of meditation to me was highly judgmental because of certain preconceived notions I had about growing up. I thought that meditation was only for those people, (whomever they were), who practiced some type of mysticism, black arts, and anything other than relating to God. I never gave it any further thought than that and I would always put the idea in the back of my head. I played jokes about it with friends while assuming the initial meditative position, assumed it was for only people were apart of a certain religion and so on.
It was not until a session with a meditator came about and he introduced me to what is called Sahaja meditation. This type of meditation is a simple five minute affirming type of meditation that is meant to restore, heal, and revitalize the being. After doing it myself and then introducing it to others I found it immensely enriching to one’s nature, health, and overall state of being. Since then, I am still in research about the deep facets of meditation while daily I now allot some time to get off to myself and meditate.
Much of what I now do is super simple and it involves getting into a quiet space anywhere and bringing my awareness back to the present. This is done through completely allowing lingering thoughts to dissipate with a few deep breaths. Then the process starts as the breathing becomes comfortably shallow and almost nonexistent in a sense. (No I never stop breathing lol). Then the “calm” settles in and I can truly sense the present silence (God) that is ever existing and always there. Afterward, when I open my eyes I feel refreshed no matter what had taken place before the meditation started and I have more of an appreciation for the moment at hand.
Check out the video to learn a little more about how meditation works. What you take from it is solely up to you .
How to Introduce Yourself to Meditation:
- Sit or lay comfortably anywhere!
- Close your eyes
- Bring your awareness (mind and focus) to your breathing and allow it to gradually become what it will..(shallow and light).
- Simply Be: Be still, be quiet, be relaxed, and whatever thoughts may arise allow them to dissipate and fall away.
-Feel free to recite positive ” I Am” affirmations to yourself and bring your thoughts to the greatness of God reminding yourself how amazing you are with this same presence living on the inside of you.
What Are the Benefits of Meditation?:
- Appreciation for the present moment and a generated hope for the future.
- A deeper reverence for our creator and all that He is. All throughout the bible Jesus would steal away into the mountains or the wilderness and go into meditation and prayer to God. ( I am certain this is one reason why He became such an extraordinary being. )
- The energy that is able to flow through us as we meditate is a healing energy and it by being still and letting that energy flow, pains, illnesses, and disease are said to gradually disappear as meditation is practiced. (how cool!)
- Pending situations of stress and danger are handled with a much more peaceful approach rather than reacting out of emotions.
- Your joy will return to you and hope will restore itself in your being. By being still and present we allow the outer world to do whatever it wants to do and we invite that spirit within us to make itself known.
If you are or were like me in the beginning with the judgments about it, I suggest giving it a try. There is absolutely nothing to lose and all the more to gain.